Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@speakeasy.org>
To:        andrew@ugh.net.au
Cc:        Marius Vincent <mvincent@elcb.co.za>, freeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Thrashing Bash

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 andrew@ugh.net.au wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Marius Vincent wrote:
>
> > and Incase my box get screwed up and the shell is not there i get locked out
> > of root.
>
> Not really. I f you use su -m you keep whatever shell your using and if
> you boot single user mode you are prompted for the shell to use.
>
> > Now how do i get PS1=blah to export to the terminal?
> > I tried to create a .bash_profile and added the PS1=blah into it and it does
> > not work.

I have mine set as PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '

I use .profile for login shells and .bashrc for non login shells such as
what is used in an xterm.  At one time I had the two files hard linked
together so they were identical, but I had to change that for various
reasons.  You may be able to get by with it depending on your situation.

Also, don't forget to source the file after you edit it, as in "source
.profile", so the changes will take effect.