Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:46:49 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        Monica Natrajan <natrajanmonica@hotmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First time installation of freeBSD

> a) if this is the only list on the free BSD site

I think so... though I also think it hasen't been updated for some
time, so if something is not listed there, it might be supported
already.

> b) and do I need to worry about the extra items that win98 control
panel
> claims that are in the machine

Depends on what they are... judging by the configuration you posted
below you have a pretty standard system. You should remember your
video card model if you plan on using X, your modem, and any other
non-standard devices (IE, you have an (E)IDE controller, not some
Promise Ultra66 you have to remember). A thing that could be helpful
though is opening the system part in the control panel, choose
computer in the device manager, and click the "Print" button. This
would print a summary of the hardware on your computer.

> c) when I try to install from a CD - the first screen shows a number
of
> conflicts in device drivers and asks me to disable some of them - on
what
> basis I am supposed to disable the drivers and what happens if I
incorrectly
> disable some of them

The installation kernel comes with support for many devices, most of
which you probably don't have, and some conflict. The idea is to
disable anything you don't have. Don't worry if you made mistakes - as
long as you have what you need for the installation, you can enable
them later on.

> also if someone can describe first hand novice experience in
installing
> freeBSD - then it will be really helpful - (this is getting a bigger
project
> than it was supposed to be )

It actually took me 15 mins to get fbsd up and running the first time
I tried. But this is also because I've used Linux before, which means
I went through a similar proccess and already knew my hardware, knew
what warnings to ignore, and was familiar with the Unix environment.
Don't take me wrong though, installing Linux was a royal pain in the
a**, as I assume installing fbsd for the first time can be. It's not
that difficult though, and you'de probably wade through it somehow :P.

Anyways, good luck!

Cheers,
Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net.il