Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:41:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can no longer ssh

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> euh, if you add the first line again, which made it impossible for
> you to ssh to the machine, then "ipfw zero" to get rid of everything
> and then try to login again, that is when there is usefull information
> in this list. Then we can also have a look at /var/log/security
> which tells you which packets are being blocked.

euh is right.
OK, I'm still a novice here. Here is what I have done.

# sh /etc/rc.firewall

This put all the original 'simple' firewall rules back in place.

# ipfw zero

Apparently this cleared a log file or log counter, but I don't have
/var/log/security so I don't know where ipfw or natd is logging to.

From a remote host (outside) I attempted to ssh in:

$ ssh -v -l jfreeze 24.9.218.175
SSH Version OpenSSH-2.1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x00904100).
debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to 24.9.218.175 [24.9.218.175] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 968.
--it stopped and hung at this point

Back on the gateway machine:

/var/log/messages
Dec  6 21:29:47 eeyore1 /kernel: ipfw: Accounting cleared.

No record of the ssh activity.

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org