Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:52:30 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster@sebster.com>
Subject:   shutdown -p does not power down

Hi all,

It seems shutdown -p does not work as described in shutdown(8):

   -p      The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware
           support required) at the specified time.

I _do_ have hardware support, I have a recent BIOS, and dmesg tells me:

   apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
   apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

I have compiled APM support in my kernel:

   device          apm0    at nexus?

When I execute a shutdown -p, it just halts, the power isn't turned off.
My system is a recent FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE (~2 weeks old), Pentium 2,
dmesg tells me:

   CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (400.91-MHz 686-class CPU)

   chip1: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0x5000-0x500f
   at device 7.3 on pci0

   pcib0: <Intel 82443BX (440 BX) host to PCI bridge> on motherboard

Does anyone have a clue? Is there anyone out there that has this feature
actually working? I've tried this on 3.3-S and 4.0-S before, but I could
never get it to work. And a friend of mine, running 4.0-S and now 4.1-S,
reported the same problem.

Any ideas ?

Ernst
--