Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 02:02:38 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: kde troubles....

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:30:07 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:14:26AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> > Maybe removing this PID file and retrying to start kdm
> > should solve the problem? It is possible that kdm refuses
> > to start while this file is present (and kdm is guessing
> > that another kdm instance is running already).
>

> 	danke, uber nien.[1]
> [1] how fractured is that!?

I thinks it's "danke, aber nein".

>  if you see my reply to Mike Power, that's a no-go.

The PID file should not be empty, it should contain the PID of
kdm as text.

Another problem seems to be that the kdm from KDE 4 does need
a different configuration file than KDE 3... maybe you can
remove / rename version 3 of the file and see if there are
any defaults for version 4, eventually generated automatically?

> 	I tried to get KDE up hours ago, but after failing, thought I'd
> 	try building kde4, ja?  nope.

Eventually testing xdm instead of kdm - just to see if this one
is working - would be a first step.

I'm no KDE user, so I'm sorry I can't help any more.

>  that bombed somewhere while I was
> 	getting stuff done on my ubuntu desktop.

If you use precompiled packages, there should not be a problem.
If you're interested in a preconfigured and working KDE and you
don't mind that it's KDE 3 on a FreeBSD 6 system, why not try
PC-BSD or DesktopBSD?

> 	ever have the urge to put your fist thru the CRT?  (*********)

Yes, since I need to use FreeBSD 7 after an accident destroying all
my data where fsck cannot help anymore, and FreeBSD 7 and it's
software does not behave the way I think it should... :-(

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0