Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 22:38:55 +0100
From:      njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
To:        "Angelos D. Keromytis" <angelos@dsl.cis.upenn.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd securelevel patch question

On Jun 14,  4:20pm, "Angelos D. Keromytis" wrote:

> I think the right question is to ask "what use are securelevels ?"
> They're ultimately flawed, so what's the point in trying to fix such
> bugs ? Is anyone really using securelevels anyway ?

I think you've got to ask two questions:  1) do they noticably improve
security?  2) can we replace them with something better?  The answer
to both questions is yes.  However, answering "yes" to "can we replace
them with something better?" isn't quite the same thing as going out and
actually spending the time designing and implementing the replacement.

Apart from the actual amount of work required, there are other
considerations which may make a replacement less attractive when compared
to secure levels, such as compatability with legacy code, the new security
bugs that will be introduced during the implementation of such a complex
system and the managability aspects of a fine grained security policy.

When something better than secure levels comes out, I'll use it, but
till then secure levels remain useful to me and others.  On that note,
look at http://www.enteract.com/~tqbf/harden.html.

Niall