Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:38:35 +0100
From:      Adam Ford <adam@cortina.fordys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SYN Cookies & DoS attacks.

Hi there,

I admin quite a few FreeBSD machines for a small ISP, unfortunately our
IRC server is receiving quite a few annoying DoS attacks lately.

My question is - linux appears to have SYN Cookies, which can be enabled,
to help prevent SYN flooding.

Does FreeBSD have any similar thing that can be enabled? I've spent 2 hours
searching the net/freebsd.org/mailing list archives and I can't find nada! :)

I found this option to add to the kernel;

options         TCP_DROP_SYNFIN

However I think this just kinda allows the identity of the machine to be
hidden (ie, that its a FreeBSD box).

Anyone any ideas?

Linux I know shouts about SYN cookies quite a lot; they're not enabled
by default.  But FreeBSD - hrrrm, seems to be not mentioned!! :)

Any help greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

[Please Please CC responses to me privately]
--
Adam Ford: adam@cortina.fordys.net
"Cum Varie Tum Semper In Stercori"