Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:32:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rigoberto Parada <rigweasle@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can you please send me some pictures of FREEBSD

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Rigoberto Parada wrote:

> Can you please send me some pictures of how FREEDBSD looks like.
> I am very interested but I do not know how to use it, how It looks (GUI
> or prompt),and I do not know what Do I have to do for Installing it from
> dial-up internet installations.  Can you please send me pictures of
> FREEBSD embeded into this e-mail with that netscape pictured e-mail
> stuff please.  Thank you in advanced.

Without XWindows, FreeBSD isn't much different from your standard
UNIX-style OS, from a user interface perspective.  You may customize the
prompt to whatever you like.  For instance, I'm using tcsh and customized
my prompt to read

gdi,ttyp2,~,12>

which keeps vital information (machine, current dir, command history
position) at hand.

If you use Xwindows, then anything is possible.  I use fvwm 1.x, which has
a windows 3.1-ish window decor.  You can get all manner of window managers
which look like popular OSs.  The other day we discovered qvwm, which is
very close to the standard Windows95 desktop with the same sort of
features (taskbar, window decor, etc).  The possibilites are endless.

The Walnut Creek CDROM catalog has a couple of screenshots of possible
desktops under XWindows.