Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 11:37:26 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Jordan the Confused (Was: Jordan The Evil!)

Evangelism begins at home.  As I've told the readers if this list many
times, if you want to see FreeBSD get more ink, WRITE SOMETHING.
Publishers don't just make this stuff up on their own, people write
articles and they publish them.

Brett got a lot of support from us when he wrote for magazines like
Smart Reseller - I even sent him a bit of glowing praise of my own for
it, making a lie of the statement that he's never gotten any positive
feedback from us for his actions.  What gotten people riled up were
some of his _less_ popular ideas, none of which involved writing for
magazines or doing other more obvious, tangible advocacy, and Brett's
refusal to understand that not all of his ideas are entirely good (or
that one should back off/rethink in the face of opposition, not simply
get progressively louder and more strident) are what got us into this
mess with him.

I've also pointed out the lack of books and magazine articles about
FreeBSD many many times in this list and it's usually like shouting
into a well.  I clearly can't be a one-man writing machine and even if
I were, I'd only manage to cover a small fraction of the available
venues by myself.  If this is to change, people like yourselves need
to (and pardon my french) get up off your asses and DO something, not
just complain in -advocacy or -chat that nobody is doing anything.
That's clearly unproductive and is also like preaching to the choir.
We know that already, what we're wondering now is who's going to write
the articles and CHANGE this!

And sorry for the caps, but you wouldn't believe how often I have to
point this very obvious fact and how seldomly people are actually
willing to do something about it.  All the complaints in the world to
these lists won't change FreeBSD's position one iota.  Only getting
out there and joining the volunteers at install-a-thons (see
www.bafug.org for one such example in action), writing articles and
submitting them for publication or visiting trade shows and
evangelising on FreeBSD's behalf will make a real difference.

- Jordan