Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 02:56:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reading Sun-formatted diskettes

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> To be fair, ATAPI is a disgusting hack and developing ATAPI drivers not
> an easy task.  Sun aren't in the same position we are where we can
> honestly admit our faults without suffering terrible loss of face -
> they have to find some way to transfer the blame or be diminished.
>
> Under these circumstances, you can understand, if not forgive, their
> attitude.

I gather that you basically have to `cover all the bases' when writing the
ATAPI drivers.  Technically, there's probably a wide range of differing
hardware that can be considered ATAPI compliant.  It sounds like somewhat of a
vague standard.

The bigger companies like Sun, as you pointed out, can't conveniently
admit their mistakes like the free software world without suffering the
consequences...

They'll probably come up with a fix in the future -- they're more than
likely just buying time until they can fix it.  It probably has one
minor glitch that throws some drivers out of whack, which is
understandable given the nature of the ATAPI standard.

Donn