Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:42:41 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@passer.osg.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
Cc:        Scott <scott@SchematiX.net>, FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Huge Bug in FreeBSD not fixed?

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC

> > I am running FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE (Last compiled on August 5th early in
> > the morning). The system is running on a PII233 with 64MB RAM. This bug
> > REALLY needs to be fixed ASAP.
>
> I ran the attached program on my box, it printed a big bunch of numbers
> and then finished with:
>
> 27 processes finished
>
> I'm writing this mail on the same machine, without any panic or reboot.

I ran two tests.  The first test had the following limits set (bash
ulimit -a output) and panicked the system.

core file size (blocks)     0
data seg size (kbytes)      22528
file size (blocks)          unlimited
max locked memory (kbytes)  10240
max memory size (kbytes)    30720
open files                  128
pipe size (512 bytes)       1
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          128
virtual memory (kbytes)     30720

The second test I used the following:

max user processes          32

It exploit application printed "30 processes finished".

I am running a 2.2.6-STABLE (980617) system with CAM SCSI patches.  I
have maxusers set to 10.  Following is what I consider relevant sysctl
output.

kern.maxproc: 180
kern.maxprocperuid: 179

This system is used as my desktop X station, which explains the goofy
maxprocperuid value.