Date:      Sat, 04 Oct 2008 15:26:04 +0100
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/127640: GCC will not build shared libraries with -fprofile-generate on amd64

Kostik writes:
> > > Note that libgcov needs to be recompiled with -fPIC.
> > > The R_X86_64_32 issue is systematic on amd64. When you build a shared
> > > object, better make sure that all .o are compiled with -fPIC.

> Should /usr/lib/libgcov.a be built with -fPIC, is debatable. I think it
> is overkill for most other static libs from /usr/lib.

I don't know what the pros and cons of -fPIC are, is there a case
for libs with and without it?

Having ports not build isn't acceptable.  AMD64 isn't some rare and exotic
architecture.

> Note that there
> are reasonable arguments against supplying static system libraries like
> libc and libpthread.

There are?  I can't think of any.

Mark writes:
>> Ports should compile cleanly out of the box, on all archs, with no problems.
>
> A noble goal, but we are a long way from it, and rely on volunteers
> to take maintainership of individual ports to make it happen.

Does "tinderbox" build ports?  Finding the problems as they are created
should help a lot.