Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:46:15 +1030
From:      "Chris Anders" <chris.anders@velsys.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mgrooms@shrew.net
Subject:   FreeBSD + carp on VMWare ESX

Hi All,

=20

I appear to be suffering the same problem as many others on the internet =
with carp and vmware vsphere (ESX4) when running with redundant nics in =
the default failover mode which connect to two separate switches.

=20

I have found this old thread - =
http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-net@freebsd.org/msg30562.html which =
talks about the exact same issue with a patch submitted to the list from =
Matthew Grooms which can be found here - =
http://www.shrew.net/static/patches/esx-carp.diff

=20

After applying the patch, recompiling and setting =
net.inet.carp.drop_echoed=3D1 in /etc/sysctl.conf my problem was solved!

=20

Is there any way that this patch could be applied upstream as this =
vsphere setup is rather common where Cross-Stack EtherChannel cannot be =
deployed which is the known work around for this issue.

=20

I also tried the patch submitted by Ermal Lu=E7i which didn't work...

=20

I did all my testing with freebsd8-current