Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:35:38 +0200
From:      Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   please help. FreeBSD eats my disk.

It started yesterday when my ide-disk suddenly hadf hard read errors. I
bought a new shiny 10g ide drive, and installed FreeBSD-3.1 on it. Then
I cvsupped 3.2-STABLE, and started
cd /usr/src && make world && cd sys/i386/conf && config BTL && \
cd ../../compile/BTL && make depend && make && make install

Then I logged out and went to work. When I came back, it was not
reacting to any keypresses on the console. Switching to an other vty
still worked, but pressing any key resulted in "pid 124 getty exited on
signal 10 (core dumped)"
Ctr+Alt+Del didn't work, so i pressed the reset button. Now / was
completely unreadable (can't find /kernel). I booted from floppy and
mounted the life filesystem CD, and started fsdb. It first claimed that
the default and alternate superblocks didn't match, but did let me do an
ls of / (inode=2).

No comes the funny part. All the entries there are in MiXeD CaSe.

I have "KeRnEl.GeNeRiC, GeTtY.CoRe" and so on.

Taking a look into etc (or better EtC now) reveals that not all of / had
been affected.

Nowthe question is, how can _this_ happen ? A heat problem is very
unlikely since this box ran fine with 3-STABLE since 3.0 came out, and
survived quite a few make worlds in the meantime.

CU,
    Sec
--
One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire
was that, lacking zero, they had now way to indicate