Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:38:24 -0400
From:      Dave Hummel <dhummel@rtheory.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   nmbclusters and netstat -m

Searched the mailing list, but I just don't get it:

How do I interpret the output of netstat -m? The following example makes
it confusing (all from 3.3 Stable)

nmbclusters is supposed to equal 512+MAXUSERSx16, so the first example
actually reduces nmbclusters from the default :

Example: maxusers=256, nmbclusters set to 4096

%netstat -m
68/416 mbufs in use:
        65 mbufs allocated to data
        3 mbufs allocated to packet headers
64/182/4096 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
416 Kbytes allocated to network (32% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

Same Machine: maxusers=512, nmbclusters not explicitly set

%netstat -m
68/128 mbufs in use:
        65 mbufs allocated to data
        3 mbufs allocated to packet headers
64/68/8704 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
152 Kbytes allocated to network (89% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

I will stick with this one example because it is very representative of
what I have found.
With the exception of max mbuf clusters in use my my numbers are lower
when I would expect them to be higher:
68/128 mbufs in use:  <- I would expect this to mean 68 in use out of
128 total, but this can't be right.
152 Kbytes allocated to network (89% in use) <- Why fewer? What does
this really mean?

Thanks,
Dave