Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 17:05:47 -0500
From:      Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future of jail(8) [WAS: preferred jail management tool]

--XpQjUldiSsDVR6pF8TubuRWSKbhV4QRoe

On 2015-01-27 12:23, Mark Felder wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 11:17, Dirk Engling wrote:
>> On 27.01.15 14:41, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>>
>>> I hope the ezjail author takes this thread as incentive to keep his
>>> utility up to date and not let it die due to changing software in Fre=
ebsd
>>> base code. All I am doing is pointing out the facts here.
>>
>> I am reading the thread. And I have been following the discussion for =
>> long time.
>>
>> I have been served the jail.conf file format and offered my help
>> improving the jail(8) tool to allow for manipulation of the jail.conf,=

>> because ezjail as a shell tool can not parse the format and keeping a
>> shadow config with potentially conflicting information is not a stable=

>> way to maintain ones config
>>
>> A short summary is here:
>>
>> https://elektropost.org/ezjail/msg00149.html
>>
>> I also heard rumors that the jail.conf format is an intermediate forma=
>> only, and/or there's gonna be a library to parse and manipulate all ki=
nd
>> of structured config in FreeBSD.
>>
>> So I'd be very interested in keeping up with the base system's
>> development, but regarding jail configs it looks like I'm stuck with t=
he
>> "use your vi to configure your jails" approach for 3 years now.
>>
>> Is there anyone feeling responsible for the jail(8) tool at the moment=

>> willing to accept patches and discuss development?
>>
>=20
> This makes sense to be broken out into its own thread. And I agree --
> patches to jail(8) or a tool like sysrc(8) for editing jail.conf would
> be a great way to allow third party tools to manage jail.conf cleanly
> and effectively.

>=20

I am working on such a tool, and hope to make it available via the ports
tree after a few more tweaks.

https://github.com/allanjude/uclcmd

I have presented a little about the UCL config format at MeetBSD:
http://www.slideshare.net/iXsystems/ucl-all-of-the-things-meetbsd-califor=
nia-2014-lightning-talk

And I am planning to present about my tool, and the ucl config format in
general, at AsiaBSDCon and probably BSDCan (I submitted 2 topics).

I have a prototype of newsyslog converted to a UCL based config file as
well.

The jail.conf file may need a little tweaking (UCL uses the dot
delimiter differently, so the name or structure of some of the variables
may need to change slightly)

As with my change to newsyslog, the new config format will use a
'version sentinel' at the top of the file, if that is not present, the
config file will be parsed with the legacy code.

--=20
Allan Jude