Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 1997 01:46:49 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      un_x <un_x@anchorage.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp/ftp/telnet - isp

this is all related, and happens with 2.1.5 & 2.2.1 (dynamic IP).

my ISP is using a Linux box.  i can TELNET for hours ...
however, if i FTP (with ftp or lynx) a large file, i always
get disconnected at around 300,000 bytes or so - sometimes for
days at a time.  then some days, everything is ok. ???

user PPP in auto, interactive, and term mode - can never reconnect
after a drop in the link.  it dials, logs in, but always bounces back
with "ppp" - not "PPP".  if i kill it, it will then work again, but
only until it loses the connection again. ???

when i kill my TELNET session (dead because of the FTP transfer/PPP drop),
my computer starts ringing its BELL - until i exit back to that VTY's
login prompt. ???

my ISP reports they FTP Megs with 95, with no problems, during the same
time periods i have problems.  whose at fault here ???