Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:56:19 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Leonard Zettel <zettel@acm.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dualing file systems

Leonard Zettel <zettel@acm.org> types:
> Progress staggers on!
>
> Lucas, you gave me enough pointers to munge around and discover
> that, for reasons I do not pretend to understand (but darn well
> intend to some day) my bsd system has designated the Windoz
> hard drive as ad2 with the following correspondence:

If you only have two ata drives and one is ad2, it's because you have
ATA_STATIC_ID on in the kernel, so that the drive numbers are wired
down: primary master (0), primary slave (1), secondary master (2),
secondary slave (3).

> ad2s1 <-> C:
> ad2s5 <-> D:
> ad2s3 <-> E:

I suspect your extended slice is not the last slice on the disk, so
Windoze is assigning them in that order. Any chance of getting a look
at what fdisk says about the drive?

	Thanx,
	<mike