Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 21:24:13 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch
Cc:        luc@2113.ch, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

On 10/25/00, 8:46:02 PM, Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch> wrote
regarding Re[2]: Amnesiac mode:

> Hello Salvo,

> Wednesday, October 25, 2000, 10:12:55 PM, you wrote:
> > AFAIR, the "Amnesiac mode" faded away as soon as I specified hostnam=
> > and/or network configuration.

> Actually, Amnesiac Mode refers to a system which has got no root
> password (or one shorter than six chars). To turn it off:
> su to/login as root (should be pretty easy now ;-)
> # passwd

Hello Gabriel,

I am a little more confused now :-)

I recall specifying a root password for that system of mine, and yet I
saw the "Amnesiac" login -- I first connected to it as root, in fact,
and I had specified a good password. IIRC, "Amnesiac" faded away after
(?) hostname/network configuration.

Whatever the exact cause may be (I'll try a suitable "grep -r" sooner
or later), the moral seems to be: in a well-configured system there is
no room for "Amnesiac" :-)

Best regards,
Salvo