Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 01:13:18 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 04:14:07PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Sun,  1 March 1998 at 16:22:32 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 01:32:34PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >> On Sun,  1 March 1998 at 10:56:51 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:

[See the thread for the rest of the discussion :)]

> What do you others think?

I think that if you create a -newbies, a significant portion of
the questions that currently go to -questions will go to -newbies.
Why? If I were a newbie, and I had a problem, I would go "Oh,
a newbie list! I'll ask there!". So I think it would get significant
traffic. For this reason, it would be impossible for Sue to
formally moderate it in any way..

I think a -newbies wouldn't necessairly be bad (in this statement
I'm admitting that my initial reaction was: yeah, right..). It
might direct the truly simple questions away from -questions,
which might in turn become the generic questions list for everyone.

Right now, if it's a newbie question, it goes to -questions. If the
question is moderately advanced, it goes to -hackers when it should
really go to -questions IMHO. So I guess I'm saying that adding
a -newbies list might help successfully 3-tier the lists into
something a little more logical. Maybe not..

If people who are willing to answer beiginner questions do so on
-questions, then I don't see why they wouldn't do so on -newbies,
so I don't think you would end up with a "blind leading the blind"
type of situation.

Just my $.02..

(Basically, I see -hackers as an abused list, and I would like to
see much of the traffic on it moved to -questions, and I think
that adding a -newbies would entice more knowledgeable people to
hang on -questions making that a viable proposal.. Man, this whole
composition is filled with horrid grammer.. time for bed.. ;-))

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code