Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:33:03 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail as a relay-only smtp agent

This may be a little off-topic for freebsd-questions, so directions to other resources
are welcome.

I've been setting up FreeBSD-based proxy-servers for a while now.  FreeBSD works
great for this purpose, but I'd like to advance the product a little.
So far, I've been setting up mail services so natd allows local workstations to connect
directly to their smtp server via the proxy.  Because this can be _really_ slow when two
or three people try to send mail over a 56K line (or even a 128k line), it would be nice
to have an smtp agent on the proxy that knows 2 things:
1. it only accepts connections from a certain pool of IP addys
2. Every piece of mail it gets is forwarded to another smtp relay, with no other processing
   done.

I'm assuming that sendmail can be configured to do this, but so far I've been unable to
figure it out.  Anyone have suggestions on how to do this?

TIA

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services