Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 1996 20:47:56 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Ben Black <black@gage.com>
Cc:        Rob Buchanan <rob@www.odod.ohio.gov>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi host web server on FreeBSD

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Ben Black wrote:

> > Use IP aliases, like so:
> > ifconfig de0 inet <ip-address> netmask 255.255.255.255 alias
> >
> > This will add an alias address to an existing interface (de0 in this
> > example). Note that the mask should be all 1-s.
>
> why?  i keep seeing people do this and it just makes no sense to me.
Well, the reason is that the rule to go by is that if a machine has more
than one IP address those should be on different networks. Since when
configuring virtual hosts you normally won't assign addresses from
different nets or subnets, using a mask of all 1-s will let you use
addresses from the same net.

I also think that with 2.1.0 the "do ifconfig twice" bug does not
manifest itself when such a mask is given (at least for me it doesn't).

Bottom line, that's what I use, it works for me, and for several other
people who has problems with aliases, asked a question about it on this
list, and got that same answer.

> b3n

Nadav