Date:      24 Jun 2001 17:48:47 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of encryption hardware support in FreeBSD

Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com> writes:
> As I now has prototypes avaliable of low cost PCI and MiniPCI boards,
> moving to production in a couple of weeks, I would like to check up on
> the work, as I would really like to see FreeBSD support. The boards are
> now supported in OpenBSD 2.9.

OK, so if I understand correctly, the encryption hardware in question
offers a high-speed hardware implementation of the encryption
algorithms used by IPSec, so it's a matter of a) having support code
that interfaces with the hardware, possibly with a device interface to
allow userland apps access to the encryption hardware and b) making
our (well, KAME's) IPSec code use that instead of doing the encryption
in software.  Is that it, or did I misunderstand something?

Now, if you want FreeBSD support for your hardware, all you have to do
is find a willing developer <whistles innocently>, send him a sample
board (or preferably two, for a full circuit, but one will do) with
complete documentation and any additional resources you are willing
and able to provide, and then wait a bit.  Simply asking for someone
to port the OpenBSD driver will not do - OpenBSD and FreeBSD are not
very similar at the kernel level, and as others have stated before in
a different context, driver source does not constitute adequate
documentation.  It helps, but it's neither sufficient nor necessary.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org