Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:54:14 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
Cc:        Belphoebe Niressi <illoai@operamail.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Portversion - Portupgrade

> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:12:35 +0100
> From: Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Belphoebe Niressi wrote:
> >>Running 4.7 and having problems to upgrade my system.
> >
> > *points at -questions*  you're running 4.7, not STABLE.
>
> Oops choosed the wrong address sorry!
>
> >>Did it but my system doesnt get updated. I get errors when it tries
> >

> > man portupgrade will tell you how to skip certain ports.
> >
> > You can then rebuild those explicitly and, unlike how
> > Zebras and Aardvarks and everything in between entered
> > the Ark, one by one.
>
> I think I will simply use the old method which is to update
> the ports one by one...
> I thought portupgrade was to update the ports on my system but
> actually it's not working well...
>
> > Also, ask yourself this question:  Is there a reason I
> > am upgrading?
>
> Sure I've been using this system for quite a 'long' time now
> and I have bugs in many apps that are in the 'to be upgrade' list..

Trying to keep complex things like gnome in sync without portupgrade
is nearly impossible. I have never had serious problems with it since
its earliest days when it was added to the ports tree before the author
was really ready for it to be released. Even then, it was a winner.

READ THE MAN PAGE! You were doing 'portupgrade -a'. You probably
didn't want to do this. You probably wanted to do a 'portupgrade -Rra'
to graph all dependencies and rebuild everything in the proper
sequence.

If the system is old and has had many ports on it through many
versions, I would suggest cleaning up your system by de-installing all
ports and packages and deleting most everything in /usr/local.

BACKUP /usr/local FIRST!! You may have some things in /usr/local/etc,
/usr/local/bin and /usr/local/lib that you want to save, but there
should not be much.  /usr/local/include should be cleaned up, as it
can cause all kinds of odd problems when old files are left around for
the compiler to find.

This is time consuming, but, with the help of portupgrade, your system
will not get cluttered with old cruft, so you will only have to do it
once.

Then install the portupgrade port. Edit /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf
to include any special build instructions for any port. Then use
portinstall to re-install the ports you need.

Once this is done you should be able to keeps port current by:
cvsup (Update the ports tree)
portsdb -Uu (Rebuild ports and packages databases to reflect changes
             in tree)
portversion -vL= (List ports needing updates.
portupgrade -Rr portupgrade (only if portupgrade is in the list from
                             portversion)
portupgrade -Rra (Upgrade EVERYTHING!)

(Did I mention that you need to read the man page carefully?)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)