Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:45:26 -0500
From:      "Potts, Ross" <rpotts@harris.com>
To:        'Alfred Perlstein' <bright@wintelcom.net>, Francis Abella <abellaf@allcet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How do I move my server?

Don't forget insane amount of insurance

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Alfred Perlstein [SMTP:bright@wintelcom.net]
	Sent:	Thursday, November 23, 2000 5:16 PM
	To:	Francis Abella
	Cc:	freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
	Subject:	Re: How do I move my server?

	* Francis Abella <abellaf@allcet.com> [001123 12:39] wrote:
	> Hey all!
	>
	> I have to move from one coast to another (U.S.) and am scared s@#tless
about
	> moving my server.
	>
	> I've a hand-me-down Compaq Proliant 1600 with 4 hot-swappable drives
running
	> FreeBSD 3.4.
	>
	> I'm sure many of you have moved your computers before, but this is my
first
	> time.  Does anyone have any insight to what to specifically do and
watch out
	> for?
	>
	> Is there some sort of park utility for the hard drives?
	>
	> Should I pull the hard drives before shipping the server?
	>
	> Does anyone have any experience with either Fedex or UPS and have any
	> recommendations on either?  or should I try to check "my baby" on as
luggage
	> with me?
	>
	> I've done a complete dump of all the info on my hard drives, but am
clueless
	> as to the next step!

	Dissassemble it completely and use insane amounts of packing material
	(bubble wrap and static bags).

	Both UPS and FedEx are terrible shipping companies.

	I used UPS to ship all my computer equipment out from NYC to CA.
	Results:
	1 Broken monitor
	3 Broken drives
	1 Box jolted so hard that:
	   the soundcard came out of the slot even though it was screwed in
	   1 CPU dislodged from the dual board
	1 Box smashed so badly that the front of case had the plastic shattered.

	I've seen FedEx guys shipping monitors just tumbling the boxes out
	of the truck onto the street.

	Fear these guys.

	And if you do a UPS claim they insist that you ship the equipment
	back to them to have it assesed unless you become beligerant with
	thier representatives.

	A better idea would be to get an extra plane ticket and sit the
	computer next to you if possible. :)

	best of luck,