Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 07:55:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      bbecker@flubber.futurecomm.com
To:        Richard Foulk <richard@pegasus.com>
Cc:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Richard Foulk wrote:

> Our cable company here in Honolulu is apparently going to use modems that
> provide 6Mb in both directions.  The promise is $50/month.  The cable
> modem connects to your ethernet.  The cable company is becoming an ISP,
> in a big way.

Well, a video channel -- With sound -- Is 6 megabits.  So they are going
to dedicate two entire 6mbit video channels to individual customers, for
$50/month?  Naah.

Maybe they are going to set two channels aside for everyone.  If that
means sharing with 20,000 people then 6 megabits is not as good as a v.34
modem.  Of course they can add more channels and give you a guaranteed
data rate.

What exactly are they selling?