Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:27:08 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Veronica Hunt <vhunt@satx.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: umm.. colors?

In the last episode (Nov 08), Veronica Hunt said:
> i installed freebsd like 5 years ago, and at that time I thought it
> even had color in its dir listing??  maybe I did something to do
> this.. but then I went to slackware and forgot about it..  well i
> have done the linux thing for about 5 years, so i am switching to
> freebsd to learn this excisting o/s.. can freebsd do the color in
> dirs like linux?  thanks.

Color directory listings has nothing to do with the OS you're running.
It all depends on the "ls" program.  FreeBSD has historically not had a
color ls, and you had to install either the "colorls" or "linuxls" from
ports.  FreeBSD 4.1 and later versions now have an ls that can be told
to print in color, though.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com