Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:21:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Andrew Ryder <aryder@bestweb.net>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Nicholas Merrill <lists@ns.calyx.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Drives

Andrew Ryder writes:
 > Well there are drives which are slow and cheap (tarvan) and fast and
 > expensive (dat) I was looking for a working list of suggestions from
 > people who do use FreeBSD and backup their data.. We use a tarvan at work
 > and its slow compared to a dat drive, ofcourse.. gotta consider the price
 > though.

Most DAT drives are more expensive than Travan drives, but if you're
looking at a SCSI Travan 4 drive for about $200-300, and a DDS-2 DAT
drive for about $500-600, the cost of the media can make the Travan
drive more expensive.  For example, most 90m DAT tapes are less than
$6, and hold 2GB (up to 4 GB compressed), and 120m DAT tapes can be
had for about $10 (4 GB, up to 8 GB compressed).  The Travan 4 tape
equivalent to a 120m DAT tape typically runs $30-40, so if you plan on
having 10-15 tapes, the Travan drive quickly becomes the more
expensive choice.  I haven't priced DDS-3 or DLT drives, but I think
both of them tend to cost well over $1k.