Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 10:28:37 +0200
From:      Jeroen Heijungs <Jeroen.Heijungs@Het-Muziektheater.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VLAN Configuration

Hello list,

I am trying to set up a VLAN, but I don't get it working. I fear I am
overlooking something very obvious, but ..
well I am overlooking it. Maybe someone can help.

setup:
- 3Com switch 3300 defined as follows:
  port1 VLAN2 untagged
  port2 VLAN1 untagged and
           VLAN2 tagged
- VLAN2 is a lighting network which mainly consists of a device that
broadcasts many packets
- the VLAN1 untagged port is for managing the switch from that port2
- server on port2: FreeBSD 4.4 RC#1 with fxp1 defined as follows:
  ifconfig fxp1 inet 172.22.1.1 mask 255.255.0.0
  ifconfig vlan0 vlan 2 vlandev fxp1
  ifconfig vlan0 inet 172.22.2.1 mask 255.255.0.0
- I want to be able to manage the switch from port2, and participate in the
VLAN2 network port1

result:
- on device fxp1 I can see all packets coming from VLAN2 (with the
additional 802.1Q data)
- on device fxp1 I can also see all packets for VLAN1 (of course without
802.1Q data)
- on device vlan0 I can see all packets coming from VLAN2 (without the
additional 802.1Q data)
- I can manage the switch as desired, so I can send packets on the fxp1
interface
so far so good

BUT the VLAN2 traffic seems to be one-way,
from the network to the server, and not vice versa
I cannot see the server (172.22.1.1 AND 172.22.2.1) from the network behind
port1,
I cannot ping or whatever,
ARP requests are not answered by the machine
it seems that the VLAN can handle Incoming packets, but not Outgoing packets.

What have I done wrong here?

tia
Jeroen Heijungs
Het Muziektheater