Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:16:15 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        lemon <lemon@aldigital.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getnameinfo contacting 'wrong' resolver for lookup

--x4pBfXISqBoDm8sr

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 12:55:48PM +0000, lemon wrote:
> hi,
>=20
> i have a 4.7-STABLE box running two nameservers: a djbdns dnscache on
> 127.0.0.1 to serve local requests, and have recently added a djbdns
> tinydns on my external address to serve domains i host, viz:
>=20
> $ sockstat -4 | grep :53
> dnscache dnscache 37679    3 udp4   127.0.0.1:53          *:*
> dnscache dnscache 37679    4 tcp4   127.0.0.1:53          *:*
> tinydns  tinydns  37672    3 udp4   192.168.1.2:53        *:*
>=20
> the box's resolv.conf has a single nameserver entry for localhost.
>=20
> my problem: since adding the external tinydns listener, my openssh
> sessions take ages to log in. thinking a reverse lookup oddity i did
> some digging, and saw that the getnameinfo call in sshd appears to query
> the external listener (albeit thru loopback) first. this external
> listener can't reverse the connection's address since it only resolves
> domains hosted on the box itself. after a long timeout, the correct
> nameserver is contacted and the login succeeds. some tcpdumping reveals:

My previous attempts at analyzing this aside, could this be related to
the problem described in PR bin/40984 and ports/39953?

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D40894
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D39953

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
This sentence would be seven words long if it were six words shorter.

--x4pBfXISqBoDm8sr

--x4pBfXISqBoDm8sr--