Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 00:20:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, brian@awfulhak.org, doconnor@Ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

> > Sure.  I just don't know what packets are triggering it.  There's
> > almost nothing running at all (literally; no routed, named,
> > whatever).
>
> Who says it has to be at your end?

It may not be.  I have to run in debug mode first.  Maybe later tonight
or tommorrow.  Kinda stupid for an ISP to do that, though, and I
doubt PrimeNet is that stupid.

> > And there's the annoying localhost DNS lookup, even though host.conf
> > has "hosts" first, and the name of the machine I'm rlogin'ing into
> > is in /etc/hosts (it's myself).  It triggers the PPP dial anyway,
> > and I think that should only happen for non-local hosts.
>
> Well, why aren't you running named?  It's faster than looking up
> /etc/hosts.  And if you don't tell the world it's there, it's not
> going to get any external traffic.

I will run named, once I get my HP345 stable enough that I want it
up most of the time.  Until then, just having a hosts file that
I FTP around is enough.

> >> The thing I don't understand is how re-writing anything is going to
> >> solve a problem where people want the link to shutdown subliminally :-)
> >
> > Change the ground rules on the shutdown, for one... different issues
> > for SLIP/ISDN, for another.
>
> Why?

Because of the shorter connect time, you can have a shorter idle time
for ISDN, for one.  A number of ISP's in the Seattle area will actually
call *you* when there are packets for you, so you are truly capable
of running a server (mail, www, etc.).

For SLIP, it depends.  Some people actually still have NetBlazer's.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.