Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 12:25:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Subject:   Re: Getting Kernel Process Information

On 07-Dec-00 Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com> [001207 11:38] wrote:
>> For the third time in a week, I got the following message when I
>> tried to run ps on my 5.X system:
>>
>>      proc size mismatch (39776 total, 1136 chunks)
>>
>> This message arises when the size of the proc structure changes.
>> With the current SMP development, the proc structure changes at
>> a very high rate of speed. The current kinfo_proc interface used
>> between the kernel and user processes is built from two pieces:
>>
>>      struct kinfo_proc {
>>              struct proc kp_proc;
>>              struct eproc kp_eproc;
>>      }

[ snip ]

> I completely agree that should be done.  My suggestion is to
> completely rip out and kernel structs being passed through
> this interface, the reason is that we will need mutexes in
> a lot of them and we don't want to export that to userland.

He is, he's just bulking up the eproc that gets created in fill_eproc()
so that proc doesn't need to be exported at all.  It sounds like an
excellent and noteworth goal, esp. since the KSE work is going to
make this even more bizarre and confusing. :)

PGP Key: http://www.Baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc