Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 96 10:18 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any ideas about this crash?

[5]   Worse than that, it is fundamentally broken on machines that have
[5]variable clocks (read: laptops and "green" PCs). The folks in Intel's
[5]P6 architecture group were shocked when they heard about what we were
[5]doing with the internal cycle counter..."It was never intended to be used
[5]that way!".
[5]   At the very least, we should make it a compile-time option (defaulting
[5]to off!).
[5] -DG

THANK YOU for saying that!  I have been saying this for three months now
and was ignored even though I was probably arguing the same points and
looking at the same material out of Intels Oregon shop and from the chipset
vendors that you were.   This Pentium internal timer is USELESS as a
TOD timepiece!  Stop using it this way!   It is only good for relative
measurements within the processors realm.

Why give the Linux guys something else to razz us about?

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
	  ^------(this is the fastest route)|"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983