Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:02:46 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        K S Sreeram <sreeram@tachyontech.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New DOC/FAQ entry.. kernel contribution guidance

* Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> [020116 10:40] wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, K S Sreeram wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > My name is K.S.Sreeram, and i am very much interested in contributing to
> > the
> [...]
>
> Sounds like you are ideally suited to this....:-)
>
> here are some starting tips.
>
> Tip 1: "no-one is going to ask you to do some particular thing". We are
> all volunteers and as such we don't ask or tell anyone to do this or
> that.. just pick something intersting and do it.

Julian's advice is really good, however there is a particular thing one
can do to leverage a starting point:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr-summary.cgi

This lists all the outstanding bugs found in the system, I would
suggest looking at them, seeing which ones you might be able to
sort out and fix.  You can also use the problem report database
as a means to study how things are fixed, which can help you to
understand the system as a whole.

best of luck,
-Alfred