Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:11:42 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Przemyslaw Brojewski <przemek@my.tenbit.pl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are large uids supported?

Przemyslaw Brojewski <przemek@my.tenbit.pl> types:
> Hello,
>
> Man page for adduser(8) sais:
>
>    uid     Automatically generated or your choice, must be less then 32000

It seems that adduser is out of date. It does indeed insist that user
ids be less than 32000. But uid's are a 32 bit int. I created a user
with an id of 1,000,000 and pwd_mkdb said
	pwd_mkdb: 1000000 > recommended max uid value (65535)
A couple of quick tests showed that things worked just fine.

> I have to setup a mail server, that supposedly will have rather
> large number of users in the near futer. I expect to hit the 32000 limit
> in a 2 months or (optimistically) 6 months, and eventually go
> 100 000  and more in a year (or one year and a half). But to the point.

If it's just a mail server, why are you creating a uid for each user?
You just need to arrange to deliver their mail to a mailbox, and let
them fetch it from that mailbox with POP or IMAP. Both of those are
possible without a uid. Or is that not the situation?

	<mike