Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:08:13 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
Cc:        "'Lowell Gilbert'" <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux emulation: acd0a is not a cooked ioctl CDROM

> From: "Lucky Green" <shamrock@cypherpunks.to>
> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:35:03 -0700
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Lowell wrote:

> > Only if they're ATAPI drives.  Which this poster said he had.
> >  He also said he was using cdparanoia, which is, as the error
> > message said, specific to SCSI drives.  [On Linux, ATAPI
> > drives are supported by making them look like SCSI drives, so
> > it sort of works with cdparanoia, but on FreeBSD ATAPI drives
> > are supported directly.]
>
> Do you believe that the ATAPI/CAM patches at
> http://www.cuivre.fr.eu.org/~thomas/atapicam/ might make cdparanoia
> compatible with an ATAPI drive on FreeBSD? I guess that would mean the
> patches would have to provide the "cooked ioctl" that cdparanoia wants.
>
> I would be willing to install -CURRENT if that will make cdparanoia
> work.

You probably don't need to do this. -CURRENT is a BIG change and still
likely less stable than desired.

The ATAPI/CAM patches are slated to be MFCed as soon as 4.7 is
released and the RELENG_4 branch is re-opened. The tree should be
re-opened this week unless an unexpected problem shows up, so I would
expect -STABLE to have ATAPI/COM support next week.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)