Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 16:50:04 -0400
From:      "Ken Kyler" <ken@kyler.com>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Firewalls for Morons

> After you change your rc.firewall how are you re-initialising the
> firewall?

I believe so

> One way is to "cd /etc; sh rc.firewall"

Nice to know, I rebotted :)

> That seems ok. Also as far as I understand the "default accept"
> means that you setup your firewall to
> accept any packet which was not trapped by a rule. This also
> implies that one of your rules must be
> screwing you up or there is still something wrong with the way
> the setup for the varies is done.

Interesting.  I had initially built the kernel with...

# added by kyler
options IPFIREWALL
options IPDIVERT
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
#options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

but as you can see, the default to accept has been commented out - and yes,
the kernel was rebuilt and installed.

> >btw, pardon the stupid question - but which file holds the log?
>
> /var/log/messages

I was afraid you were going to say that.  Nothing is getting logged.

> Are the cards up? Check with ifconfig -a

They have to be as everything works fine once I add the rule "ipfw add allow
all from any to any"

> Are you connected to the net through ethernet? fxp0 sounds
> familiar, but not xl0. What is xl0?

xl0: <3Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL>

> >    # log eveything
> >    $fwcmd add allow log ip from any to any
>
> Good. that should allow all traffic through.

However, as I said above, nothing is getting logged.

> Note that your internal network is 192.168, so you would want to
> comment those lines instead of the 10.0
> from my example.

fixed.

> With that "allow from any to any" I would tend to think that your
> problem must be either one of your
> cards is not up or you are copying something wrong when typing
> the addresses in the rc.firewall
> variables initialization.

I'll bet $$$ the cards are working.

Ken