Date:      Wed, 1 Oct 2014 11:20:33 +0300
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
To:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, allanjude@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cluster FS?

> On Oct 1, 2014, at 11:08 AM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk> =
wrote:
>=20
> The model that I'm describing is a VMS cluster model.
> I'm not sure if it makes sense for FreeBSD.

It does not.  FreeBSD does not currently offer any form of clustered =
filesystem support, nor would a SAN provide this in any case since =
it=E2=80=99s just a shared fabric for a single set of storage devices.   =
You could front-end your SAN with a NAS, but that would simply re-export =
the SAN as a shared file system such as NFS, which would let multiple =
clients see it but still provide no fail-over if the NAS or primary SAN =
controller died.

You are trying to create an active/active fail-over system with multiple =
modes.  You cannot get there from where you are starting.  This is =
basically a =E2=80=9Cstart over=E2=80=9D proposition, and why folks like =
NetApp and EMC sell a lot of fileservers to replace existing SAN =
solutions.

- Jordan