Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 02:45:01 -0500
From:      "Erik Funkenbusch" <erikf@visi.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   size of /sbin/reboot

I confess that I was taken a bit by surpise when I was digging around in my
sbin directory and noticed that /sbin/reboot is around 230k in size.  230k?
For a reboot command?  A quick check of /usr/src/sbin/reboot shows that
reboot.c is only 6k in size.  Add to this that the file is copied to several
other locations (ie, halt, fasthalt, etc..) and it's taking up a good chunk
of disk space for what should be such a simple command.

Anyone care to explain why the file is so large, and why it's copied rather
than symlinked?