Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:51:46 -0700
From:      <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "'David Christensen'" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Cc:        dteske@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 10 installer and ZFS root

[Devin Teske]

The installer makes ada0s1a a mirrored vdev so that any disk in the pool
can be booted from. Imagine what would happen if you had only a single
boot partition that was not mirrored and you lost that drive?

> >>      ada0 is the raw block device.
> >>      ada0s1 is a primary partition table entry pointing to an extended
> >> partition table.
> >>      The extended partition table contains partitions ada0s1a, ada0s1b,
> >> and ada0s1d.
> > Yes, that is correct.
>
> Okay.
>

> >>      Question -- can I adjust the size of ada0s1a and ada0s1d during
> >> installation?
> > I take it you mean 'can I install using different partition sizes?'
> > rather than 'can I change the sizes of the partitions after the fact?'
>
> Yes.
>

> > The installer contains a pretty reasonable partition editor, or it is
> > entirely possible to boot the install media to a live FS and set up your
> > drives from the command line, and then continue the installation using
> > the installer.
>
> I assume that the installer is a collection of shell scripts driving
> statically-compiled utility programs (everything in BusyBox?), and that
> the various command sequences and options are encoded in the scripts.
> Some options are made visible through the UI (swap size, boot
> encryption, 4K alignment of pools, etc.).  I was hoping for a simple way
> to adjust other options, especially boot partition size.
>

> Looking at the amount of work the installer ZFS partitioning sub-system
> does, I'd rather not attempt to do all that by hand.  Scripts are good
> at that kind of thing.

[Devin Teske]

And the installer is scriptable.

Try executing the following command to see how it can be scripted...

awk '/GLOB/{exit}/CONFIG/,/GLOB/&&/^[A-Z]+=/{print}' \
	/usr/libexec/bsdinstall/scripts/zfsboot | less

> If the installer boot loader creates a RAM disk, copies the installer
> suite to there, and then lights it off, I might be able to choose Shell
> early on, edit the right script, and then re-launch the installer.

[Devin Teske]

Yes, or create a /etc/installerconfig that sets ZFSBOOT_* variables
before kicking off "bsdinstall zfsboot" (and later the distextract, etc.).

HINT: If /etc/installerconfig exits with failure status, nothing else is
performed before reboot (allowing you to control the install 100% by
calling the various parts to the installation).

--
Devin