Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:46:40 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

brian barked,

[first, let me make it clear that I am *not* offering a legal opinion,
nor am I offering to do pro bono work on this matter :) ]

> For how many years has the web site said that?  Quite a few, I should think.

> Trademarks aren't enforcable if they don't have a history of being enforced,
> and this can probably be fought by establishing a long history of usage.

I've pondered from time to time just how broad the unix trademark is.
"BSD Unix" in the context used on that page just may predate the
trademark in question.  On top of that, there is the purchase forever
ago of the license that let to 386/BSD . . .

Also, the page (and everything else) stops short of saying that FreeBSD
*is* Unix . . . (but is real closeto the line; I'm just not going to
try to figure out which side)

hawk, esq

--
What part of "non-negotiable" didn't you understand? /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700           \ /   against HTML mail