Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 14:40:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        "Gooderum, Mark" <mark@jumpweb.com>, freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Alpha Multia (

> > Issue 2 - Random crashes.  With 3.1-RELEASE the system will randomly just
> > restart without any messages from the kernel or a core dump.  It's pretty
> > consistently related to lots of disk activity especially with more than one
> > process.  With the latest 4.x SNAPSHOT things are much more stable and it's
> > only done that once.
>
> I'm not too sure what to suggest. Has anyone else noticed this on 3.1?

Yes.  On my multia.  I shot some messages through this list approximately
a month ago.  I wound up building my tree on my Miata and sending it over
the net to the Multia.

The best guess before was dodgy hardware, most likely the memory.  I've
been toying with buying new RAM, but true parity is a bit pricey right
now.  (And will continue to be so as things move toward SDRAM)

4.0 decreased the frequency of these reboots, but did not eliminate them
as I had first thought.  Due to time constraints I've not been able to
play with the system recently.  If any more info becomes available I'd
love to hear it.

- Bruce

Bruce M. Walter, Principal
NIXdesign Group Inc.