Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:00:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      Tony Jago <T.Jago@prentice.uq.edu.au>
To:        Brian McGovern <bmcgover@bmcgover-pc.cisco.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, Kazutaka Yokota <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PSM problem... [ intel motherboard and silo problems ]

 Brian, In found your e-mail about problems getting your PS/2 port
 on an intel AL440LX motherboard to work. I own an AL440LX as well and
 had exactly the same problem:

> psm0: current command byte:0047
> kbdio: TEST_AUX_PORT status:00fa
> kbdio: DIAGNOSE status:0055
> kbdio: TEST_KBD_PORT status:00fa
> psm: keyboard port failed.
> psm0: the aux port is not functioning (250).
> psm0 not found at 0x60

 My mouse worked fine under windows 95 as yours did. Under Win95 the mouse
 port was reported to be on int 12 which was what freebsd expected it to
 be. The mouse had worked when I installed FreeBSD originally so I
 suspected it was something I had changed. The only thing I could think of
 was a BIOS upgrade so I rolled back the BIOS to P08 and everything
 started working! Then I rolled it forward to the current version P09 and
 it still worked!

 The BIOS changes caused the CMOS memory to get cleared and caused the
 system to re-run the Plug and Play doobie so perhaps this is what fixed
 it.

 I also had another problem with the machine. I was constantly getting
 silo over flows when using my modem. The best transfer rate I could get
 was about 3K a second. At this point a silo overflow would occurr and a
 packet would get dropped and the TCP stack would drop back its transfer
 rate. I had to set my modem port to 38400 and even then I would have the
 occasional over flow under heavy load.

 This BIOS down-up-grade fixed this problem as well! I can now run the
 56K modem at 115200 bps with not a single overflow. Transfering some text
 files using the modem compression ran the comm port up to the 115200
 limit with no problems.

 Under windows 95 the modem would work with the default settings but if
 you moved the buffer size sliders up to maximum then a similar problem
 would happen just the windows just silently dropped the packets and no
 error was reported.

 Thanks again for posting to the mailing list. Without your e-mail I am
 sure I would have never worked out what the problem was.

- ---
Tony Jago, Systems Programmer,        E-Mail: T.Jago@prentice.uq.edu.au
Facilities Management Services,        Phone: +61 7 3365 4078
Prentice Centre, The University of       Fax: +61 7 3365 4477
Queensland. Brisbane, Australia. 4072.