Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2014 19:56:27 -0400
From:      Dutch Ingraham <stoa@gmx.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Audio CDs Not Playing

Greetings:

I'm having trouble with playing audio CDs; specifically, they won't
play at all.  Secondarily, it appears as though, if they would play, I
would need to be root to do so.

My system stats are as follows:  <uname -a>:
FreeBSD dutch.freebsd.net 10.0-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 #0:
Tue Jul  8 06:37:44 UTC 2014
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I am issuing the <cdcontrol -f /dev/cd0 play 1> command and the CD
simply will not play, or move in any way.  However, if I issue
<cdcontrol /dev/cd0 eject>, the CD will eject; if I issue
<cdcontrol /dev/cd0 info>, I will receive the tracks information, etc.
So it appears as though communication is happening, but the CD will not
play.  If I issue these commands as a regular user, I receive a
"permission denied" message; if run as root, simply nothing happens -
no error, nothing.  In fact issuing <echo $?> returns 0.

I have read the handbook sections on multimedia and setting up the
sound card, and believe I've done everything by the book.  For example,
<pciconf -lv> returns:

hdac0@pci0:0:27:0:	class=0x040300 card=0x04201028
chip=0x3a6e8086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00 vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = '82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller'
     class      = multimedia
     subclass   = HDA

and I have loaded, individually, both the snd_hda and snd_ich drivers
with the same result (the hardware notes are ambiguous on this note).

The only somewhat useful information is returned by <cdcontrol -v
-f /dev/cd0 debug on> which returns:

"cdcontrol: Inappropriate ioctl for device"  However, a google search
has not informed me as to what this means or how to correct.

If someone could point me in the correct direction, I'd be appreciative.

PS - This issue is not limited to CLI commands; VLC will issue the
error "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'cdda:///dev/cd0'. Check the
log for details." There is no log info that I can find.  In addition, I
can burn a cd with xfburn, but only as root.