Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:08:57 +0100
From:      Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ERROR

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 06:47:10AM -0400, Nader Turki wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm not sure if this is the write email list but i thought you guys might be
> the only ones tto help me with such a problem.
> I got this machine with a 20GB IDE HD, and tried installing FreeBSD few
> times. But kept getting errors like:
> syncing disc 1012 1010 1000 bla bla
> ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk#1315167 retrying.
>
> then the machine wouls reboot in 15 seconds!
>
> Anyway, I joined #freebsdhelp on irc  and few told me you have a bad HD. So
> I got a new HD and installed FreeBSD and the installation went smooth no
> problem.
>
> Now when i try adding packages I keep getting the same error again
> "ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk #131.... retrying"
> then i get another error that says:
> "Jul 17 06:13:55 blue /kernel: ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk#1341..."

I got a similar problem, possibly identical, with FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE and
a 34222Mb IBM HD (IDE, UDMA66), thinking that the disk was knackered I sent
it back and asked for a replacement, they kindly told me it was fine.

Some folks on this list told me that FreeBSD 4.0 is fine with my disk.

I've concluded that the new ata driver and perhaps the wrong BIOS settings
for my disk could have been at fault. I've since repartitioned the disk
in such a way that it's working for me, for the time being.

Not to start a flame war, you could try the old wd driver, which might
work better, as the problem may be with the newer ata driver and some
combination of UDMA/LBA.

> I'm sure it's not the Hard Drive! Cand someone help me and tell me why am I
> getting that error?

Try the wd driver, or try the ata driver in pio mode (use sysctl hw to see
what that setting is already and then set it to pio mode to see if you have
more luck.)

Another thing to try is to make sure you've not got any of the AUTO_EOI_*
settings in your kernel, as I couldn't get them to work with the ata driver
and my disk - which could also be the problem. That's a guess though!

	Steve

P.S. For those folks thinking of flaming me for saying that the ata driver
might not be up to it, please don't bother.