Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:24:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime <jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I Blitz /usr?

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Roger Merritt wrote:
> My idea is that I should just delete *everything* in /usr, then run
> /stand/sysinstall and install only the distributions and packages I
> need from the NFS filesystem. Recent experience installing from the
> CD-ROM on a new disk drive indicates that at the end /usr will be about
> 29% full including the source tree.
> Does any kind reader see pending doom here? Or should I go for it?

	I kind of twitch at the thought, though my limited understanding
can't come up with a precise predictin of doom.  I think that running a
CVSup might be less of a hassle, especially if you follow it up with a
mergemaster command to take care of /etc after you'r upgrade and make
liberal use of pkg_delete (look in /var/db/pkg to see what's installed)
before the make world command.

	There are some tricks to CVSupping past the 3.x-to-4.x boundry.  I
found them listed in /usr/src/UPGRADING in the FreeBSD CVS web site and
followed those steps very very closely.  All told, I've done this twice so
far, both times from a 3.4-Stable system.  The first time I had to add one
extra step to the list which I can't recall for certain right now.  I
think that it was something like an extra "make install" in
/usr/src/..../libc, but I'm really hazzy on this right now.  I made the
decision to do that extra step after the make buildworld command stopped
with an error message that indicated the source of the problem.

	The second time I did this I had some problems getting my ISA
NE2000-compatible card working correctly.  Simply recompiling my kernel
again and rebooting fixed those issues quite quickly, though.

	I'd hessitate to do what you're suggesting, but then again I'm
comfortable with the CVSup system.  :)  What ever you do, make real sure
that you back up the entire file local file system before doing anything.
(i.e. umount /foriegn and then "tar cvpzf /dev/rsa0 /" or something like
it)  Also, you might want to umount your /usr/home partition while doing
this just in case you type faster than you think and do something like "rm
-rf /usr".

	Also remember, not everything is stored in /usr.  You have
libraries and other things in /bin and /lib and elsewhere.  Those need to
be upgraded, too.  Between that and the fact that CVSup-ing is fairly
common and tested, consider it seriously before you start ripping the OS
appart.

	What ever you do, good luck.  Feel free to email me directly if
you want to ask me about this stuff.

							Jaime