Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:36:08 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Rachmat Hidajat <rachmat@canada.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 video cards

* Rachmat Hidajat <rachmat@canada.com> [001219 22:27] wrote:
> Hi all!!!
> My computer is equipped with 2 video cards, one is an on board
> NEC PC-98x1 and the other is a PCI Matrox MGA Millenium card.
> When I run X-window, it automatically switches to Matrox card and
> when I finish using x-window it switches back to the on board card.
> So, I have to plug and unplug the monitor cable between those two
> cards. Is it possible to  run both text and x-window modes using a
> single card, preferrably the Matrox one?
> (I had to do the similar thing when I was using windows95 in the
> same computer).

Some motherboards allow you to disable the onboard video via a
jumper or BIOS configuration, I would check your motherboard docs
and BIOS setup.

It's also possible to tell XFree to use your onboard video controller
by giving it explicit instructions via the XFree config file.

Lastly you could look into getting a monitor switch so that you
don't need to fiddle with the cables when going from text<->video.

best of luck,