Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2014 22:41:17 +0200
From:      "A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven" <freebsd@skysmurf.nl>
To:        Jim Pazarena <fports@paz.bz>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg 2 ng conversion

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW

Jim Pazarena wrote:

> this process is a little confusing.
> do I still need to run "portsnap fetch" ?

PKGNG is a packaging system, not a building system.

If you need a ports tree (usually for BUILDING ports/packages from source,
although there are other reasons occasionally), then yes, you need to do a
  # portsnap fetch extract
or alternatively obtain a ports tree through Git or Subversion. If you
don't need a ports tree (for example because you'll only be installing
binary packages from a repository and don't need a ports tree for other
reasons), there's no need to use Portsnap either.

AvW

--=20
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW--