Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:09:11 -0500
From:      Ronnie Clark <RClark@swst.com>
To:        "'David R. Stegner'" <dstegner@earthlink.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Web server???

David,

  I too have setup a webserver here recently. I suggest that if this is
going to be a public webserver, that you get at least Apache 1.3.19 for
security reasons. This version corrected a buffer overflow in the previous
versions. I do not know for sure if they have updated the ports yet.
(http://httpd.apache.org/)
  I downloaded it and installed it very easily and it runs great. Also, make
sure that if this is a web only server, that you turn off any open ports
that are not being used. And this is easy in FreeBSD.
  Just my $.02 worth, from a security point of view...hope this helps. Good
luck.

Thank you,
Ronnie Clark