Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:13:56 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'alan17@his.com'" <alan17@his.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Partitioning the disk for FreeBSD

Alan,

You are worrying unduly. The FreeBSD install will not 'carve up your drive'
willy-nilly, and it will not repartition anything. It can, however, create a
NEW partition in the empty space you have left, and then 'slice' that new
partition up into swap, fs, etc.

If you haven't left any space, then the installer can delete unwanted
partition(s), e.g. the BSDi ones you created, and create a new one (under
your control of course). All your existing linux partitions will remain
untouched. This is all under your control from within the install program.
It certainly won't do anything without asking your approval.

I find the latest RedHat linux much more dangerous in this respect. For
example, if you choose the 'workstation' option in the installer, then it
will delete all existing partitions and start over. Very scary! If you don't
read the README first, it can all end in disaster.

Please don't rule out FreeBSD so easily!

Regards,

Jeff